Question
Posted by: Beans | 2004/11/20

My Grandmother with Cancer looking for a Diet

Hi Diet Doc
My Grandmother of 76 is looking for a diet. Now she has had chemo for Maloma and is out of the clear. But she suffers from Kidney failure and goes to dialasus 2-3 times a week. She wants to know what diet she should follow and if you know of any books she could read to help her sustain a balanced diet. Please could tell me, she means so much to me. All I need is another grandparent in hospital.
Leigh

Dear Beans
I am so sorry to hear about your dear Grandmother's problems. Because the diets for kidney disease are relatively complicated and have to be worked out individually taking the patient's age, degree and type of disease, other complications such as the cancer, treatments such as dialysis and medications into account, it is essential that your Grandmother should consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian help her for her specific condition, which is something that one cannot do with a general diet given over the Internet or by reading books. So take you Gran for that consultation ASAP.
Holding thumbs for all of you.

2
Posted by: Alicia | 2004/11/20

It sounds as if your grandmother has "end stage renal disease."

Sodium (salt) restrictions are paramount. High sodium foods must be eliminated completely. These include cured meats (ham, sausage, bacon, corned beef), most cheeses, "fast" foods, pickles, bouillon cubes, soy sauce, and most Chinese or oriental foods.

Reply to Alicia
Posted by: John | 2004/11/20

There is an anti cancer diet called the Gerson Therapy but it also includes certain natural treatments. There are books on the subject.

Unfortunately the conventional medical industry think he is a quack.

Reply to John