Posted by: Smelly | 2003/02/18

My feet

My feet started smelling very badly all of a sudden. It never used to happen, even in the summer. Is there anything I can use for it? I'm mainly wearing genuine leather shoes that is very open but it still happens. Please I need your help desperately.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Smelly, we first have to try and determine what the underlying problem is.
Assuming that you’re not overweight, don’t suffer from a thyroid problem, adhere to the accepted hygiene regimens and that you’re in good general health, you might suffer hyperhidrosis. This is basically excessive perspiration due to over activity of the sweat glands. Treating the underlying cause is a lot easier than to try and treat the hyperhidrosis itself. If there is no underlying cause, you can try using an aluminium chloride containing antiperspirant (Drichlor®). If that doesn’t work you can apply a 20% aluminium chloride solution to your feet at night.
It might also be that you have a superficial fungal or bacterial infection. This might only look like a slight redness of the feet, but it can definitely be the cause of the problem. A doctor will be able to tell you after he’s examined you.
Then there’s the biggest portion of people where we’re not sure why their feet smell. We know that a smell can be caused by decomposition of the sweat and cellular debris by bacteria and yeasts. The problem is that two people can follow the same hygiene routine and one will have smelly feet and the other not. All you can do is to try and minimise the time your feet go without taking a “breather”. This includes not wearing the same shoes on consecutive days, wearing different socks everyday and when shoes are changed, exposing the inside of the shoes to sunlight (UV) for a day every now and then, drying your feet properly after washing and to use a spray like Happy Feet® or Foot Soldier®.
Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.