Question
Posted by: Dee | 2004/11/02

My energy

I have posted this question to the fitness doc but would appreciate your take on it aswell (as I diet doc). I have actually discussed this with you before but I didn't really understand it and was wondering if you could elaborate. If I excercise 5x a week for 1 1/2 hrs (cardio and weight training) and I consume approx 1000calories, is my energy in, less than my energy out? I don't need to loose weight as my BMI is below average but I don't want it to exceed my energy out in order to maintain my weight. This might sound really stupid but obviously you don't only count the calories burnt during excercise because the gym machines calculate a figure far below 1000cal. (that excludes my weight training). After excercise and my day to day activities, am I doing alright? This is a topic that seriously confuses me and I would appreciate your advise. Thanking you in advance.

Dear Dee
Human beings need energy (measured in calories) for a) the so-called Basic metabolic Rate (BMR) which is the amount of energy a person requires to keep vital body functions going (heart beat, breathing), this usually amounts to about 1000 to 1500 cal; b) the so-called thermic effect of food (amount of energy required to digest food) - this usually amounts to between 200 and 500 cal; c) energy expended in physical activity (this includes every movement you make in addition to the heavy exercise you do), which generally amounts to about 700 to 1000 cal. So an adult woman would require 2 200 cal on average to keep these 3 things going. If you are only eating 1000 cal a day and are also doing 1,5 hours of intensive exercise which requires about 10 cal/min = 90 minutes x 10 = 900 or more cal, then you are starving your body of energy and you will lose weight. I am actually worried about your low energy intake. Even people who are trying to lose weight should ingest more than 1000 cal a day. So please be kinder to yourself, otherwise you could just be on the way to developing anorexia and this is NOT the way to go.
Take care