Question
Posted by: sam | 2004/11/27

my dog was stolen...I can't cope with the news...he was like my child.

hey,

my dog was recently stolen and i am terribly upset about it...he was like my child! He was stolen from our garden!! I can't sleep at night, wondering where he is, I'm so worried he is being tortured or beaten or worse been sold for muti! So many dreadful things could be happening to him....I'm going crazy and I can't think about anything. I went to the SPCA but to no avail and even offered a reward...I feel so helpless whilst he is so helpless at the hands of a dog killer.

I'm so very depressed...I even feel suicidal.

This is my question to you...why do people steal dogs???
My dog was 10 years old so he wasn't one of those cute puppies that everyone wants...he was old and rickety. Thats why I can only come up with bad things as to why he was stolen.

So sorry to hear aboput your grief, Sam. One can't say that bad things may not have happened to him, but there could be other explanations. Sometimes, dogs, especially old ones, get the idea of wandering off, maybe when they're sickly, and just go off into the nearest veld or bushes, and sit down calmly and die. And sometimes, like old people, they go off for a walk, with some sensible idea in mind, forget why they went out, lose track of where they are, and get lost.
Frankly, in a similar situation where two of our cats were beaten to death by a neighbourhood gardener who was bragging that he'd kill every cat in the area, we found the SPCA to be titally and utterly useless, and happy to be so, so we made sure they will never receive any donations from ourselves, family or friends. Their "inspector" actively sided with the cat-killer, and encouraged him. But there was a happier ending to the story. Some months later, that same gardener, who was very fond of wandering off as soon as nobody was looking, to the nearest shebeen to get drunk, one morning, very drunk indeed, picked a fight in the shebeen, which spilled outside, and he slipped and fell under a passing bus, breaking both legs, and permanently ending his career as the neighbourhood sadist. A fitting end, and all his own doing.

4
Posted by: sam | 2004/12/01

thanx guys for your concerns....I am still so distraught...I spoke to the police and they reckon that there has been an increase of such criminal activity over the past few months because of a gang operating in the area who 'specialise' in the trade of stolen pets. It sickens me.......my dog was so sensitive, so gentle, such an angel and to imagine what this gang could have done to him....maybe found pleasure out of torturing him...oh I can't think about it...it makes me feel soooooo sick.

Reply to sam
Posted by: A | 2004/11/29

HI so sorry - that must be awful and stressful to not know where he is.

Which area are you in? Maybe I can help with a list of organisations in your area that may be able to track him down if in fact he was picked up by someone and taken to a boarding kennel etc.

Let me know and give me the date he went missing and his description

Hope 2 help, A

Reply to A
Posted by: BEE | 2004/11/28

Sam, that is so sad. I have 4 dogs and just wouldn't cope if one disappeared or was poisoned or whatever. Don't give up hope. Keep on advertising, keep checking the SPCA (they won't phone you!). I hope he comes home soon.

Reply to BEE
Posted by: Juz | 2004/11/27

Dear sam
My sympathies - I know how much we love our "kids" it's very painful losing one.
Maybe he's not stolen - maybe he just went for a walk give it a little time - I am sure he will come home soon.
Take care my friend
Juz

Reply to Juz