Posted by: nadine | 2008/07/02

my dog was killed in a dog fight

we came home on monday to find that one of our 2 girls had been killed by my boyfriends mom's dog. we had found her full of blood it was just a really bad thing to see. we took her to the vet but she was already gone. the thing is i am battling to get that image out of my head the way that she looked. i just want to know how can i get that image of her lying there covered in blood out of my head? i dont even need to close my eyes to see it.

i would appreciate any advice.

Sadly, such reactions are typical and common after exposure to horrid sights and trauma. These images DO fade, and probably more rapidly if you both deal with your grief by talking about it with sympathetic others, and by keeping occupied with other activities. Concentrate, too, on remembering her in her best of doggy days, and the happy images you can recall of her life

Posted by: Hope* | 2008/07/03

I am so sorry to hear about your pet, this is so sad. And how heartbreaking for you to come home to this. When my little dogie died, I planted a rose bush in her honour and when the roses bloom its as if her loveliness still lives on. Take care Nadine. I hope those images will soon leave you and you will be able to remember the special companion she used to be.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: jcat | 2008/07/02

Hey Nadine,

it's a really horrible thing for you, and I feel for you. If it's any consolation though, you can be sure that it was fairly quick and painless, no matter how horrific the wounds. The whole adrenalin rush that happens in a fight also tends to mask the pain, and dog-fights to the death are very fast, so your girl would not have suffered as much as you would think on seeing her. As Riley says, focus on the happy pictures, where she knew that she was a very loved and cared for dog.

Reply to jcat
Posted by: sadi | 2008/07/02

Keep your other dog and the new puppy away from your boyfriends mothers dog!!!!!

Reply to sadi
Posted by: Riley | 2008/07/02

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Our puppy was knocked over by car and died in my arms (it was a horrible mistake and it was a series of unfortunate events). Took me a while to forget about him as the little deceased puppy and to remember the good in him - like he was.

One thing that helped me, was to look at pictures of him, as the happy vibrant vivacious puppy that he was!

I hope you find peace.

Reply to Riley
Posted by: Nadine | 2008/07/02

thank you doc,

it is starting to get a little easier just the images are bothering me. we are planning on getting another pup on saterday to help or other one and i am sure it will help us to move on aswell.

kind regards

Reply to Nadine