Question
Posted by: KAZ | 2006/11/14

My dog is eating kitten poo

Is it normal? My German Shepherd lately or actually since we got our kitten Bostick in August, when we get rid of the kitten poop we throw it in our garden and Sasha follows and eats the stuff. We don't have time to bury the poop and if we throw it in the bin that will get tipped over and she will look for it. I was meant to write in some time back but got sidetracked and I forgot. Now that we have Smudge locked up at night she uses the litter box as well. It makes me shudder when Sasha goes eats the stuff. Ou Nooi did it in the beginning now has stopped and Sasha seems to have seen that what dogs suppose to do and has been doing for some time.

Urggh!!!!

The best is to get rid of it by another means. Either in your refuse bin or put it in a packet and take it ekse where and put it in a bin. A thought just ocurred to me! I recently saw a device that is fitted to the outside sewerage pipe (I think it fits in the inspection plate at the bend) through which one can deposit both dog and cat faeces. This is your answer! It is very difficult to trian dogs out of this bad habit.

4
Posted by: SUN | 2006/11/15

I used to flush my cats pooh down the loo - worked the best for me. Had to be quick though as the staffies always tried to beat me to the litter tray for a snack- yuk!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/14

Can you not flush the stuff down the loo instead of dumping it in the garden?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/14

It is normal dog behaviour. This question has been asked a lot and even has its own "major category" to the right. The only thing you can do is restrict the dog's access. That is, don't throw it in the garden. What you could try is to booby trap the litter box. Cover the poos in peri peri and leave them. Some dogs may like this, so its not foolproof, but hopefully your dog isn't into hot food.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: FD | 2006/11/14

My parents have a labrador and she does exactly the same thing. When my mom asked the vet about it he said that dogs apparently love that stuff and to them it's like pudding - eeewwww!!!

Reply to FD