Question
Posted by: me | 2006/11/08

my dad

hi there
i've been worried about my dad, he gets these dizzy spells and has to lay down for a while...he went to the doc and they did tests, he has (rythmea) when the heart stops for a split sec the rythm of the heart beat is out...is this dangerous and what can happen????

thanks
me

Expert ImageArchive

Dear me,

Yes, it could be dangerous if there is any other underlying heart disease.

The best thing for your Dad to do is to see a specialist cardiologist. There are different types of arrhythmias, some of which need active treatment, others of which are benign. You therefore need to know what type your Dad has. Cardiologists have special means of detecting these rhythm disturbances, and can sort out the dangerous ones. Many GP’s do not have the correct ECG equipment, or the necessary knowledge to interpret the ECG readings correctly, so I really would urge you to go to a specialist.

Treatment options may range from nothing at all ( in the case of benign arrhythmias) to medication, to a pacemaker – but this is for the cardiologist to advise.

Good luck.

HeartDoc