Question
Posted by: Micarla | 2004/03/03

My child is writing the wrong way around

Please advise.

My daughter is in grade 2 and writes the wrong way around. She is left handed and initially I thought that his was the reason why. When given a task to write from 1-10 instead of writing one she writes eno and instead of three she writes eerht. She does this with the entire exercise. She writes from left to right in the proper direction but all the words are back to front. Initially she wrote from right to left but no longer does that.

Please advise on who in the medical field would be able to assit me with this problem. Name and contact telephone number so I can make an appointment for her to see this person. I live in Cape Town.

MICARLA

Dear Micarla,
This sounds like a rather unusual problem, posibly related to Dyslexia. You could see a Paediatrician or a Child Psychologist, for a full assessment and advice on treatment. Being based in Cape Town, you might be able to arrange, usefully, for her to be seen at UCT or Stellenbosch, where it'd be good to get an expert opinion, and they'd find it easier to ask other relevant specialists to see her.
As Lucia says, this has nothing to do with intelligence, but because it can obviously be inconvenient and cause later problems with studies and jobs, it's worth exploring aalable treatment while she's young.

1
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/03/03

Dear Micarla

I would suggest that you take your daughter to a paediatrician for a proper physical check up just to make sure there are no hearing and or sight problems. I am no fundi on the subject, but it sounds very much like Dyslexia.

The researchers say that Dyslexia stems from a defect in the brain's ability to process graphic symbols and causes difficulty with reading and spoken language. Dyslexics generally have trouble with sequences of numbers or letters and often confuse left and right.

Something also very interesting is that it has been found that Dyslexic childrens force their brains to work ten times harder than that of a child without the condition - they are therefore just as bright (if not even more than the average child) on any other level but there is just this one little short circuit in the very complicated human brain which tells them one should be eno.

Did you know that the very successful Tony Factor is also Dyslexic ? - I am sure Doc can pull a few more names out of his memory closet as examples. In any case - the paediatrician will, if he thinks it is necessary refer you to an occupational therapist who can assist with treatment for this condition (should it be so).

Reply to Lucia