Question
Posted by: RDK | 2004/10/15

MY CAT HAS CANCER

I got the bad news today that my 11 year-old cat has cancer and that she has to be put out immediately. Just over a month ago we noticed her nose starting to bleed and in this short space of time it has rotted away almost completely. She still eats a lot and with the exception of her nose, is still in fine physical form. Is there anything we can do for her or must I just accept that she has to be put out and have it done. Please advise. Also, what causes cancer in cats. This is our 2nd cat in less than a year who had this disease. Our other cat was 13 years old and her nose also rotted away. We put her out earlier this year.

The type of cancer you describe is probably squamous cell carcinoma of the nasal tip. This is an extremely destructive form of cancer that progressively destroys the nose. The initiating cause is usually chronic sunburn damage to a pink or white nose. Treatment include surgery, radiation of the nasal type and chemotherapy introduced into this cancer (not systemically). These treatments all have specific indications as to when they should be used, and if your vet is not familiar with this, request referral to a specialist that deals with this type of therapy. If the lesion was left too long, no effective treatment may be possible.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/18

Years ago I had the same problem. The cat had a pink nose and the cause of the cancer was the sun.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/16

I'm sorry about your cat. I know how devastated you must be feeling, as I've been there too.

I can't comment on the causes etc, but can only say that if you love your cat, you'll do what is right. It is the greatest gift that you can give them - namely, that of an easy and peaceful death.

Best wishes and a lot of strength to you.

Reply to Chill