Question
Posted by: Lilly | 2006/07/28

My brother suffers from depression

My younger brother who is 28 years is a policeman. He stays far away from me , He called me yesterday to tell me that he has not been feeling well and upon seeing the doctor he was told that he has depression and low blood pressure. Are these 2 related ? What can I do to help him ? What causes depression? Does this mean that he is losing his mind ? please help I'm clueles. How does one know when one is suffering from depression . he is such a nice caring chap who wants everyone to be happy, why would he have depression whe he has such a good heart ?

Low blood pressure is a rather dubious diagnosis, but Depression is a common and serious affliction. What he needs is to be referred by the GP to a good local psychiatrist for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options for Depression ( if indeed this is his main problem ) and this would best include CBT style counseling and probably some antidepressant medication. No, he is not losing his mind at all, and right now, especially at a distance, what you can most do for him is provide emotional support and encouragement to see his shrink and follow the shrink's advice and get better. People with "a good heart" can easily become depressed ; fortunately it is a very treatable condition.