Question
Posted by: Chichi | 2004/11/08

My boyfriend's parents are first cousins

My boyfriend's parents are first cousins, is there a possiblity that our children won't be normal. And if so what are the chances of this??? I really love him and we want to have children cause we both love kids. What are the risks involved

Chichi

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Chichi

If your boyfriend is normal and none of his brothers or sisters have a genetic disease I do not think you have to worry. Then only risk of late-onset conditions may be considered but more information on family history of possible illness etc. is required to provide a risk estimate.

Regards, Maritha

6
Posted by: DIC | 2005/03/07

Good day, Danny and Dr.
I would like to find out what test should the Dr be doing and can they
perform test while baby is in my tummy for any defects.
and what will costs be .

I take it that both should be tested.

Please reply.

Thank you,
DIC

Reply to DIC
Posted by: Danny | 2004/11/17

I married my second cousin and we got tested. go to www(dot)genecare(dot)co(dot)za. We have a perfectly healthy 3year old thats as smart as ive eva seen alread speakes eng and afr fluently. He's GR8. Talk to Dr Thiart at 021 4225538. Take the trip to cape town to ease yourself.
DON'T WORRY

Reply to Danny
Posted by: Chichi | 2004/11/16

Dear Danny

I'm 24 and he is 27. I'm worried about his genetic structure there surely is a risk of abnormality

Chichi

Reply to Chichi
Posted by: Danny | 2004/11/15

Oh...Sorry! Well I still don’t think there will be any faults in genetics or something. If your boyfriend doesn’t have cancer or any other genetic disorder you should be fine. It depends on if you and your family has a history of cancer as well. The chance that there will be something wrong with the baby is close to 0% but these days it’s a risk with any baby isn’t it? You’ll be fine don’t worry! Let me know what happens plz… Maybe you should get yourself tested. How old are you guys?

Danny

Reply to Danny
Posted by: chichi | 2004/11/15

Danny

My boyfriend and I aren't cousins, my boyfriends parents were cousins and i'm worried that there may be a defect in our children

Chichi

Reply to chichi
Posted by: Danny | 2004/11/14

The question I want to ask you first is “does your parents know that you love each other” and then “do they aprove your relationship?” The thing with this type of babies are the faults in family genetics are copied. If your really are that close related. But personally I don’t think there will be problems. You aren’t related close enough! If you really love him and sure you want to spend your life with him nothing can stop you anyway. Maybe you shoud get tested.
Let me get this straight Your grandfather and his grandfather is brothers right?

Danny

Reply to Danny