Question
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/23

My Boxer

Miki my boxer bitch is 7 she was spayed at 18 months .

I battled to housetrain her it was as if she would "forget" to go and pee .. she must have been about 9 months before she was fully housetrained.

Anyhow recently I noticed she doesnt "ask" to go out and when my males goes outside she pees for what seems an age .. this weekend i noticed she was dripping like a tap ...huge puddles where she lies.

Anyhow since I noticed this I have been taking her out hourly and the dripping has stopped .. it seems as if she doesnt realise her bladder is full and then just "goes"

Im taking her to the vet on Thursday but im just wondering what the problem could be.

Other than that she is fine .... normal appetite , normal crazy boxer behaviour nothing at all to concern me .

She isnt drinking more water than usual either .. its easy for me to monitor them because they ar inside dogs and im home all day with them ....

It sounds like a case of urinary incontinence. She is unable to keep her bladder sphyncter closed when it is full. There is medication available that can be used to help firm up the sphyncter.

2
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/24

Thanks Chill , I thought as much .. my ridgback aeons ago had the same problem .. i was just worried about about some form of doggy alzheimers ..

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/23

It's most likely hormonal - the vet will rule out any bladder or kidney issue, and then if those are clear, will give you little hormone pills for her - you'll learn to manage the dosages so she gets enough not to dribble like this.

The pills used to be called Stilboestrol, but I'm not sure if those exact ones are still available.

Once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy to manage, and not expensive either.

Reply to Chill