Question
Posted by: cate | 2007/08/07

My Basset Hound is a bully

I have a female Basset who is nearly twoyears old who has started to become a bit of a bully towards my miniature Dachsie (2 1/2 - also female). I also have an adopted female cross chiuaua who doesn't have any issues with the other two.

They are perfectly fine most of the time but occassionally they will start growling at each other and end up in rather a scuffle. My dachsie tends to then slink away quietly afterwards.

Could this be jealousy as they are alright on their own but as soon as we get home from work they jossle for position to get the first bit of attention.

I have also heard that Bassets do try to become the boss of any household. Could this be the case that she is just trying to assert herself to the head of the house?

What should I do qhen the dogs start squabbling?

Yes it sounds as you being there is causing the tension. They would probably benefit from schooling and then one can give each of them attention without causing stress.

3
Posted by: Lilly | 2007/08/16

I have a basset aswell, Oscar is also almost two and he gets along fab with my Lab who is 3! But that jealousy streak most def is a Basset thing! If i even begin to move my hand towards Lilly, Oz will come push his way in, they never turn aggressive towards one another but Oz cant handle the sight of me giving Lilly attention. He has to be the head of every situation and has to recieve all the love!

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/07

This is most likely far more complex than mere 'jealousy', which is in any case a human thing, not a dog thing. It's also quite different from male dogs squabbling.

Read up in the archives of this forum for inter-female aggression, and take appropriate action now - this may mean getting in a behaviourist - once this type of aggression between two females is established, it's almost impossible to sort out.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: LeeB | 2007/08/07

Hi, Im also a Basset mom and Alex is only 8 months old and rules the roost. Him and my 3 year old boxer every now and then have a bit of a sqable, but I leave them as it never turns vicious, he is only trying to show who's boss with a loud growl and a bit of bright whites showing. I really cannot give any advice, but I get the feeling that bassets are maby suffering from short man syndrom stuck in a very long body. Hope it gets better, maybe they are only "feeling" one another out?

Reply to LeeB