Question
Posted by: bakkies | 2007/08/01

my ankle is still swollen!!!!

hi there,my name is bwighane mwafulilwa and i live in zambia,am a male aged 18 and love to play rugby, i am actually the captain for the under18 national side.Four months ago, in April to precise, i injured myself in a match.I twisted my ankle and when i was taken to hospital, the doctor told me that although there was no dislocation or fractured bones, i had torn a ligament.I was given a cast up to my knee and had it removed after a month.It was still swollen, but not as much as before and i was able to walk,but with a slight limp.I did physiotherapy for seven weeks,after which i could walk without discomfort and i no longer experienced pain whenever i took a step.It feels fine i must say,but I don't want to take a risk and start training or playing again, or rather, not just yet because my ankle is still swollen even after four months, and because of this, I have missed two national side trips out of the country,to add to the frustration,the league matches.My main questions are; 1.Is the swelling, even after four months, common with this type of injury? 2.What exactly should i do to get back on the field as quickly as possible? 3. What are the dos and don'ts after one has this type of injury?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi bakkies
Nice to hear from Zambia. I grew up there until 17.

There can be a number of reasons for continuously swollen ankles.

One can have a reactive synovitis which means that the ankle has fluid in it without much else. This often reacts to a corticosteroid injection into the joint followed by rest for three days.

There is another problem which is called a talar dome fracture. this is where the bone in the foot which joins to the leg has a little piece broken. This bone can't often be seen on X ray and can only be detected by CT scan or bone scan.
If there is no pain then its probably worth trying the injection into the joint, if the fluid causing the swelling is coming from there.

GL
Dr P