Question
Posted by: Lindi | 2003/02/06

My 14 months old refuses to drink of the cup

I have tried all the muggs availblae out there but my son won't coorporate he wants to drink everything off the bottle, i red books on weaning babies of the bottle but non works, my fear is that his teeth will go brown from the silicon tits.

Any ideas?

Lindi, I doubt that his teeth will go brown and there is no medical reason why he should stop drinking from his bottle immediately. The best would be to start by giving stuff he really likes in one of those non-return cups you get at the baby shops. If he doesn’t want to drink from the cup, he can always have water from a bottle. This way he will learn that getting to the nice stuff means he will have to drink from the cup. In other words there is no punishment if he drinks from a bottle (he still gets to quench his thirst), but there is reward if he drinks from a cup. You will just have to persist and eventually he will get the message. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Linda Paree | 2003/02/06

Maybe you should wait a bit longer. Most babies will take a cup from about 18 months to 2 years. Just dont let him go to sleep with sugarry drinks. I don't think you have to worry about the silicone teats doing any damage to his teeth

Reply to Linda Paree