Question
Posted by: Little John | 2007/08/23

Muscular strength

My 12 year old son is small for his age, and weighs 32 kg. He loves his sports, and has good technique when it comes to Cricket and Tennis; but just doesn't have the strength to hit the ball as hard as most of his friends. My older son is a very strong boy, who is also big for his age. Why the difference? How can my 12 year old build on his arm and upper body strength? What foods would you recommend?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Little John’s Mom

The most probable reason for the difference is genetics. Building upper body strength through resistance training will certainly help. At this young age weight training is not recommended, but training with his own body weight is. I would strongly recommend that you make and appointment with a biokineticist and let them devise a program for him. In terms of the food make sure that he eats 5-6 meals per day. Always combine a low fat protein with a low GI Carb and add at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day. View some of the archive material of this web for ideas.

Good Luck!
Vanessa.

1
Posted by: Answer | 2007/09/06

One of you sons isnt yours :-D Ask your wife ...

Reply to Answer