Posted by: Haz | 2005/07/27

Muscular dystrophy


I wonder if you can help me. My husband comes from a family of 6 children, 2 of whom have muscular dystrophy (limbgurdle)- one male and one female. I wonder what the chances are that my 2 children could be affected? What tests can be done? Is it more likely that the children of a female with muscular dystrophy could be affected than a male? Thank you!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Haz

Limb girdle muscular dystrophy is not usually transmitted from affected parents to their offspring, and the risks to your own children are probably small. If you wish, your family doctor could refer you to a Medical Genetic Department, where you could receive expert assessment and guidance. In this type of dystrophy, the sex of the affected parent does not influence the risks to their children.

Regards, Maritha &
Genecare Consultant Clinical Geneticist

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.