Question
Posted by: Haz | 2005/07/27

Muscular dystrophy

I wonder if you can help me. My husband comes from a family of 6 children, 2 of whom have muscular dystrophy (limbgurdle)- one male and one female. I wonder what the chances are that my 2 children could be affected? What tests can be done? Is it more likely that the children of a female with muscular dystrophy could be affected than a male? Thank you!

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Haz

Limb girdle muscular dystrophy is not usually transmitted from affected parents to their offspring, and the risks to your own children are probably small. If you wish, your family doctor could refer you to a Medical Genetic Department, where you could receive expert assessment and guidance. In this type of dystrophy, the sex of the affected parent does not influence the risks to their children.

Regards, Maritha &
Genecare Consultant Clinical Geneticist