Question
Posted by: ca | 2004/01/13

muscle stiffness-overtraining?

Hi Conrad,
Does having stiffness the following day after a workout necessarily mean ur muscles have been overworked?, i am a 29 year old guy who is a regular gym goer and train 2 days on, 1 day off but am finding that i'm often stiff after the first day's workout. What do u reckon a decent rest period is? I train weights and run 20 min the 1 day, then the next is a full super circuit, followed by stomach. Tks
ca

Expert ImageBodybuilding

CA,

Muscle stiffness the day after a workout is normal if you are pushing yourself properly and constantly breaking through the plateaus and barriers that Bill Phillip's describes in his book on Body-for-Life.

You must take care however if the pain and stiffness is so bad that you cannot bend your arm or leg or have incredible pain that incapacitates you afterwards. This is not good and you are doing more harm than good.

A normal rest period is 48 to 72 hours which means that you can safely train the same muscle again after that time period. One approach that I also follow is to have a hard/soft principle which means for example if I train upper body on Monday and Thursday that I train hard on Monday and soft on Thursday to prevent injury and overuse/training.

If you are really concerned about your program then paste it on here and I can evaluate it for you.

Keep well and in touch,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist