Question
Posted by: MRS SPASM | 2006/10/27

MUSCLE SPASM

I trained triceps yesterday very hard.. Yesterday and today my one triceps muscle spasms every now and then.. I can actually see the muscle pumping up and down quickly and then it stops... It's not painful, just feels horrible because I have no control over it and makes my arm feel very weak.. Did I over train it, or is it diet, or what's going on.. It pumps up and down so much it looks scary.. Is it that I lack something in my diet?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Mrs Spasm

The exact cause of cramping is still unknown, although the following factors are considered to contribute thereto:

• Poor fitness (tired muscles)
• Exercising at high workloads
• Too little stretching and warming up
• Dehydration
• Creatine usage without sufficient water intake
• Electrolyte deficiency
• Heat changes

To me it looks like you might have over trained the triceps, especially as it is a muscle that we don’t use a lot. I can not with certainty say whether your diet has played a role as I don’t have the details thereof to do so. Have a look at the abovementioned list to see whether any of the other factors pertain to you. Eating balanced will ensure that you ingest sufficient micro nutrients and therefore should then not play a role.

I suggest that you rest your triceps for a week before you train them again and when resuming the training do so with less intensity for a while.

Good luck!
Vanessa