Question
Posted by: Lemjoza | 2004/03/08

Muscle spasm?

A month or so ago I had this pain on the left side of my neck. This caused some light headaches, but what was worrying here was that I even had spells of dizziness. I went to see the GP, and I was given pills to relax my muscles and others to deal with aches and pains. It seemed to work, but the dizziness would not go. The doctor suggested that I might have strained some muscle in the neck that deals with blood circulation to the brain, hence the dizziness. When I twist my neck about 90 degrees to the left I feel some pain, what could be happening here? Clearly two visits to the GP did not work!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Lemjoza
There is a muscle called sterno-cleido-mastoid that is at work here. When tight it can not only give dizziness, but nausea, vomiting, migraines, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances and vertigo.

What you can try is: stretching - turn your head to the right and then side flex it to the right - this may make you feel weak at the knees so sit down while doing it and second there is a reflex under your collar bone - massage from your breastbone out to your shoulder about 1 cm under the collar bone - on the bits that really hurt - linger a little longer....

And a suggestion is that whatever you think is a pain in the neck needs to be sorted in the emotional side of your life too.

Douglas