Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2007/05/21

muscle soreness

Is it necessary for your muscles to be sore the day after you have trained? I am hardly ever sore. However when my b/f trains, he always has some muscle soreness and he trains 6 x per week. Should I be sore?

Hi Scorpio

No, it's not necessary, though it does happen sometimes because the muscle is unused to the load. It generally means that the training is above what the body is accustomed to. It's normally quite expected in your first few sessions, but when it happens over and over, it probably means the training intensity or volume is too high. Remember that muscle soreness equals muscle damage and repeatedly damaging the muscle is not good. Therefore, I would certainly suggest that he back off the training load on at least 3 days a week, it's not doing any good to constantly damage the muscle.