Question
Posted by: Leatitia | 2011/05/20

Muscle pains

Hi, I am 39, female, of average built and height I am on my ideal weight and in very good health. My problem is: I am a road runner and do aproximately 40km a week training and 10km races twice a month. I have painful lower legs, between the calves and ancles. It feels like electrical shocks if I run and like bruises if I want to rub something on. My shoes are almost new and the same brand I always wear - good quality runners. What supplement can I use to ease this difficulty?

Hi Leatitia

When did this begin? If you went back to your training programme, can you do some detective work and try to see what changed to cause the problem? Because I can pretty much guarantee that something will have changed. Either you increased the training intensity or the volume, maybe the frequency, maybe even something like the surface you run on.

Or you raced more than normal in the last few months? But there's going to be something there because we don't suddenly develop injuries as a result of keeping it going.

It sounds like you have a calf problem or shin problem, and that's difficult to diagnose - the best is obviously to see someone about it, have a diagnosis made, then you can treat it. But in the meantime, you can try to trace the training changes that might have caused it.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/05/23

Hi Leatitia

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc