Question
Posted by: Clair | 2004/10/04

Muscle pain in right calf

Hi Doc, you helped me a few weeks ago through some foot trouble, I went to a podiatrist who built up my insloes as he said I have very high bridges and the running was causing stress on the muscles under the foot. The feet are much better now but I am having some trouble with a pain in my right calf muscle. It is a localized pain just to the left and below the knee. If I have been sitting or sleeping and get up it aches for awhile unitl the blood gets moving down there. When I start running it is quite tight and then the pain almost goes away completly. Should I do some squats it aches. It is not the entire muscle just that specific area. Any suggestions? Do I go back to the podiatrist or do I need to see someone else?
Clair

Hi Clair

I wonder if the problem might be related to the built up insoles. Often, when you change something like the insoles, even a tiny change, it can throw off your natural training routine, and it sometimes requires that you spend some time adjusting to the new insoles. Therefore, I would suggest that you contact the podiatrist - chances are, they need a little report back anyway, and so you could let them know. They may even consider it serious enough to change the arches slightly, because building up those arches is not an exact science and it can take some tweaking. That would be my advice - see the podiatrist, rest a little, and then build up gradually to allow yourself and chance to get the feet used to the arches.