Question
Posted by: Sleepless | 2004/01/28

Muscle jerks

My husband and I arent getting much sleep - been going on for a couple of years. He jerks in the night - about every 30 to 40 seconds. His shoulder also jerks during the day - no one notices it - except me. I thought it might be Tourette's syndrome - but sometimes if I give him a massage it stops - so during the day, his right shoulder jumps up and down - he cannot control it and then in the night his leg jumps and the hole bed rocks! Could this be a pinched nerve or an over active nervous system. Could anything be done about this?

Sleepless, I doubt that it is due to a pinched nerve because it would have gotten worse over the past couple of years. It might be due to a neurological disorder or even a form of epilepsy, so the best would be to see a neurologist. In the meantime he can try taking a sleeping tablet of the benzodiasepine variety and see if it helps. Good luck.