Question
Posted by: khalid | 2004/12/20

Muscle Gain,Weight loss

hi - i would like to know ure opinion on usn products, especially the alpha nitrox program. also, can u recommend me to a sports doc who can access my condition(blood test,kidneys, etc) to see whether i am fit to take such supplements? (preferably in ct :))
thankin you
k.manjoo

Hi Khalid

I think that supplements are largely uneccessary and waste of time, to be honest. There are some exceptions, and I will discuss these, but we often overlook the fact that in the western world our diets are so very rarely deficient in anything that we don't need to add all these proteins to the diet. There is a fairly well established upper limit to how much nitrogen (protein) the body can use, and for men it is about 2g per kg body weight. So, someone who weighs 80 kg needs roughly 160 g protein per day. That's not all that hard to get, unless you are severely undereating or don't eat meat. In this case, such supplements are absolutely excellent, but to those who don't need them, who knows what side effects they cause? This brings me to the next point - the safety of many supplements is questionable. That's not a slight on USN or any of the manufacturers, it is just that the supplement market is structured in such a way that it requires zero testing before a product can be released onto the market. So, we have all the products on the shelves and no one knows if they work, the supplement makers promise great results, the scientists often fail to find great results and no one ever bothers to test for safety concerns. So, all in all, I'm not a huge fan of supplements, except in those very unusual cases where diet is not good enough alone.

I hope this helps