Question
Posted by: John | 2003/02/26

muscle deteriaration

My question is quite simple but is bothering me. I go to gym quite regularly but I hear that if you stop going for a while your muscles will degenerate and u will be actually weeker than u were before you started going to gym. My question is, How long does it take approx for muscle degeneration to occur??

Hi John

Your muscles will not become weaker than before, they will just return to how they were before you started training. After about a two-week break from gym, the lack of stimulation of the muscles, might result in them starting to atrophy to pre-training strength. However, the process is not sudden, but occurs gradually.

The take-home message? Keep training! - but at a sustainable level!

1
Posted by: BFL-Freak | 2003/02/27

Within a week or two. Why would you want to stop - your body totally regenerate all cells yearly and on a continious basis. So you can't actually get weaker than before - well only if you do less than before.

Remember to feed your muscles (Sups) - overtraining can actually destroy your muscles!

Reply to BFL-Freak