Question
Posted by: Mick | 2002/12/04

Muscle Definition not Bulk

I am qite tall, with an athletic build. I want to increase muscle definition, without getiing bulky.Can you please tell me the best supplement to assist this ie: creatine etc - which I can use to supplement my gym workouts.

regards
Mike

Hi Mike

This is not my area of expertise, but there is quite a lot on this website if you do a search with the word creatine. I'm a firm believer in using natural methods i.e weight training using low weights and high repetition.

I just copied a section from one of the articles from thias website, which deserves careful reading.

Needed: More research

The potential effects of creatine use, particularly in young athletes, prompted the American College of Sports Medicine to convene a special roundtable of experts to examine data on the supplement's effectiveness. Their conclusion, recently published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, stated: "The fact that creatine is a naturally occurring compound does not make supplementation safe, as numerous compounds are good, even essential in moderation, but detrimental in excess. Further, the lack of adverse effects does not equal safety since unending research must be performed to eliminate the possibility of all theoretical complications."

So, while we may not have much in the way of proven evidence against creatine use, at least some experts believe that what we still don't know about creatine could harm us.

"Based on what we know now, I would not recommend it," Gotlin says.

Others, however, believe the best plan is simply to "approach with caution."

I really believe you can achieve what you want to, without supplementation.

Good luck!