Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/11

Muscle Definition for a WOMAN

Hi ,

I am a 22 year old woman on a weight loss program and the exercise component includes both cardio and strength training. My diet is healthy , low calorie and balanced.Ive been on the program for 9 weeks now.

The problem is that I dont just wanna get strong , improve my bone density etc , I also want to gain DEFINITION in my arms.
I recently read that because women have little testerone in their bodies it is harder for us to build muscle mass. So I would like to know what supplements I can take to help me gain more lean muscle in my arms.
I am currently lifting weights that make me strain towards the end of the set , so they are heavy enough for me,But my arms are still FLABBY!!!
Someone suggested that I should take creatine before a workout . But I thought that creatine is for muscle recovery. Is that correct?
What about muscle growth?
But Please understand that I do NOT want to look like a female body builder , I just want nicely cut arms. The perfect example of what I wanna look like would be MADDONAS' arms.
I understand that some of it is genetic but surely maddonna,serena Williams must be taking some sort of supplement to help them achieve that look?
Your comment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
caroline

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Thanks Billaboy,

Carol,

I must admit you're not the first lady to mention Madonna's arms and Imust say they are impressive. Yes creatine is a recovery supplement and it is to be taken after a workout.

Also, for a nice toning and cutting effect try three to four sets of HIGH reps-in the region of 20 to 25 reps per set. That should work just fine.

You can also try the normal range of supplements that are on the market such as a meal replacement with low carbs, creatine/betagen, whey protein for the evenings and also CLA that helps with fat loss and toning over the long term.

Hope this helps!

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

2
Posted by: Fitgirl | 2004/10/24

Its true that women battle to gain muscle, but not impossible. I did a very strict 12 week training program and only used meal replacements and CLA as supplements and the definition, size and strength in my upper arms (biceps and triceps) even my forearms was incredible.

Youve got to get your diet and training in sync and you could use a product from EAS called Betagen that is a creatine formulae that has been used before by women with great results.

Reply to Fitgirl
Posted by: BillaBoy | 2004/10/14

Well atleast your inspired! The best way to get definition and some size in your arms is to go heavy, to the best of your ability anyway. So do 3 sets but keep the reps low. 12-10-8 reps and the weight should be of such weight that someone has to help you with the last two reps. Use seated dumbell raises and standing barbell raises. Also do not neglect your triceps, they are two thirds of your your arm. Do tricep kickbacks and cable pushdowns.

If you are unsure of how to do any of these, I can point you to some websites which illustrates them nicely.

billaboy at webmail dot co dot za

Reply to BillaBoy