Question
Posted by: wondering | 2006/04/21

muscle and cm's

I've been doing weight training for the last 3 weeks now with my trainer. I've heard that your muscle sits under your fat so when you do weigth training the muscles might not show but it'll be there. My question now is for example on my tummy - if I gain more muscle there is it going to increase my cm's/waist measurement because it's going to be added to the fat? I'm not overweight but have some flab and I'm noticing my stomach is actually looking bigger, I've been eating correctly. If this is the case I don't know if I really want that muscles! I'm dreaming of my sixpack stomach but will that happen? Will the sixpack actually make my tummy stand out more? I hope I'm making sense. Thank you

Hi Wondering

This is partly true - the problem is that many people try to get that elusive six pack by doing situps every day, they lift weights, they spend hours doing muscle group training, but don't SEE anything, because, as you point out, there is a layer of fat that surrounds the muscle. Now, to address your concern, as you get stronger and your lean mass rises, then of course, your girth (waist and hip for example, but also biceps and triceps) will increase. Therefore, the ideal is that you lose some fat while gaining muscle, and this means that you have to focus not only on doing the 100's of situps and stomach work, but also on the exercises that will burn fat. This means doing cardio training, such as running and cycling, maybe 3 times a week. It's the combination of the two that will prevent what you are seeing now, and also help you to obtain the definition and six pack you are after