Question
Posted by: LP | 2007/04/12

Muscle aches and pains

I am 24 years of age. suffering for more that ten years of muscle pains, fatigue, burning in eyes, stiff neck,fascia pain, swolling of soft tissue, dizziness, sleeplessness, Headaches. For a more than 10 years now I have been trying to get help from doctors in different practices, Neurologist, Rheumatologist, Psyciatrist. Psychologist, Phisicians. The Headache clinic, curently at the sleep study (Dr. Ebrahim at Constancia berg)

I`ve attended all their sessions and told them my problem, but was refer from this one to that one, most of them refered me to a Psyciatrist of which I attended for a long time with no results or relief of my symptoms. Personally I do not think I have a Psyciatric
problem I had a normal upbringing, his I know it could be chemical as well. Be the fact is the problem is Fatigue, muscle pains (and all others mentioned previously.

No disrespect but, over the years I have been from specialist to specialist with o results. They just confusing me more and more.

I would get my hopes high and tend to feel depressed and discourage afterwards. This condition is interfering with my work, personal and social life. I believe this is a physical problem that needs treatment. I am willing to go the extra mile. As I had already spend tons of money on medical aid appart from the medical aid payout.

I do not know what I would do should my medical aid be depleted at one stage.

Please give ne advice.

Thanks!!!

Dear LP
If after visiting all these doctors nobody could find a clinical reason for your symptoms, you may have fibromyalgia. This is basically a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that you have to look actively for other reasons before you can deduct that this could be the problem.
see www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fibromyalgia.html
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/muscle_pain.htm

In a nutshell: what does make a difference with fibromyalgia is taking Magnesium supplements, vitamin B's, anti-depressants to increase your serotonin levels, getting some exercise to stimulate endorphins in the brain, physiotherapy, dry needling in the trigger points by a good physiotherapist.

things that should be excluded are:
Outoimmune diseases, infections like Ebstein Barr virus, Coxackie virus, Rickettsia infection, depression, neurological problems, diabetes, low thyroid hormone.