Question
Posted by: Max | 2007/02/09

Muscle

Im 14 years old and i play as lock for my rugby team
im about 6''2 and 11 stone however im quite a skinny lad and my diet is a bit unhealthy i need a some food that will be broaden me up with muscle as well as keeping me healthy do you have any suggestions?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Max

You are most probably undereating which is why you are underweight. According to my calculations you should be consuming about 2400 calories per day to maintain your current weight. Should the aim be to increase your weight by about 10 kg you will have to consume about 2700 calories. These are only estimations as I calculated them from my own assumptions and the info you gave me, so please bear in mind that the calories might need to be adjusted slightly, but at least it will be a starting point for you.
The next step is to divide those calories into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat. Mostly consume low GI carbohydrates and use higher GI carbs during and after training to refuel you stores. Read food labels to supply you with the necessary nutrition information to be able to perform the calculations and visit the GI foundations of SA’s website www.gifoundation.com for more info on the glycemic index of foods.

A balanced diet, as mentioned above, together with the action of selecting a variety of foods will provide you with a healthy diet and when you train properly and support the body with the correct nutrition you will increase your muscle mass and not your fat mass.

Good luck!
Vanessa.