Question
Posted by: miki | 2006/11/14

Murmur

i suddenly felt very weak at 6 months pregnant, went to GP who checked everything and only thing he could really find was that my iron levels slightly low but nothing needing supplementation. He then noticed that i have a heart murmur, i have never been told this before. Is it possible to just develop a murmur and is it common in pregnancy? The GP said he would send a report to my gynae, who will do a sonar of the heart and take it from there. I have not seen the gynae yet and was wondering whether this sounds normal?/common? possible causes?

Dear Miki
During pregnancy the whole cardiovascular system changes - you blood pressure, your blood volume, your blood cells ( all due to hormonal changes) and a physiological ( normal) murmur can be caused by turbulence of the blood over the heart valve. We see this often in pregnant women. He is just being careful ( as he should be) to check your heart with a sonar.