Question
Posted by: Karen | 2004/01/19

Mumps

My sister is 7 weeks pregnant and some friend of our's children visited her and they have the mumps. Is my sister's baby in danger? And what must she do?

Mumps is not usually a problem to the fetus.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/19

I know this will sound like a horro story, but rather get it checked out...

She should see her doctor. It is usually german measles that are the worry but I have just (about a week ago) hear from a friend that she contracted mumps in the last trimester, they delivered her baby early and the mom developed an ear infection from the mumps and she has lost her hearing in one ear. It really is very sad and I am sure it is a freak case. But tell her to speak to her doctor.

Reply to Kate