Question
Posted by: LA | 2004/01/12

Mumps

I am 30 weeks pregnant and was in close contact last week with someone that didn't know at that time that they had mumps. I have not had or been immunised against mumps. Today I do feel that my neck is slightly swollen and also under my arms. I have booked to see my gynae tomorrow, but am so worried if my baby is going to be okay. I am in such a state of panic at the moment, please help!!

Mumps should not affect the fetus.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/12

You'd probably only get it mildly as you probably would have been immunised - MMR = Measles, Mumps and Rubella. I think that this is a compulsory immunisation, so you would very likely have received it.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Me | 2004/01/12

Dear LA

I had full blown mumps at about the same stage of pregnancy as you are now. I went into a flat spin and rushed over to my doctor only to be told to relax, it will have no effect on your baby. It is however extremely painful so I hope you don't get it.

Reply to Me