Question
Posted by: lol | 2008/05/29

multiple pregnancy

Hi, I am not sure what I want to do anymore. I went to see a fertility specialist yesterday and explained my situation: I had my son on the 7th of Aug 2007 and then we tried to get pregnant again soon after because we want at least 4 kids and I want then to be close in age, so they can be good friends. In Jan I found out I was pregnant again and on the 23rd of Feb they removed the baby and tube because it was an etopic pregnancy. In Jan I also found out I had Graves's disease and on the 3rd of March I swallowed radio active iodine, and now my thyroid is under active and I am taking 0.15 Eltroxin. The dr's say I should wait till at least Aug to see what my thyroid does, the Invitro dr said I should wait 4 weeks with my new dose prescription to see what it does and then I can try. The Kinetics and invitro dr says 4 months is enough to wait and to see what the medication does. I don't want to wait too long, but I also don't want I stupid (sorry can't think of a better word) child, since they say that is what happens when your thyroid is under active and you are pregnant. I went to the dr to find out about multiple births, because I am so scared something else will happen again and then I can't have any more kids. He said that he will prescribe clomid and that might do the trick. Now I am confused, because my reasons for having twins now is so I don't go through 4 caesareans, and so I can get my body back quicker, and so I don't have to drop my one child at creche and the other one at primary school and the other one at the high school and so forth. Mostly because I want to get my body back quicker and I don't think I am up to having 4 caesareans. My first caesarean was due to my heart: It was painful for me - maybe I am just a sissy. I love my kid and won't mind allot of kids, but due to finances I will stick to 4. Can you tell me what you think? Is it easier for a woman's body to be only 3 times pregnant, not 4? Is there no diff? Do you really stretch that much more? I didn't get any stretch marks in my first pregnancy and I would like to keep it that way.

You should wait at least 6 months after the radioactive iodine before falling pregnant. The radiotherapy doctor should have told you this. Your thyroid levels should also be normal before you conceive. This does not take more than a couple of weeks when you are on the right dose of Eltroxin. My suggestion is that you wait till October/November before trying again.
Life does not always work out exactly as you want it. You now have the thyroid problem and you also said that you had a problem with your heart, so 4 pregnancies may not be ideal for your health. Stretch marks are the least of the problems.
Clomid is only necessary if you have a problem with ovulation, which does not seem to be the case. If your other tube is normal, there should be no problem with falling pregnant naturally.
Twin pregnancies have many complications and should not be deliberately sought for.Remember it could also be triplets.