Question
Posted by: Liz | 2007/03/09

Multiple Gall Stones

My colon problems have grown worse in the last 2 years with constant distension and pain as well as total inability to lose weight despite careful dieting and gym 5 times a week since January under the guidance of a personal trainer. Two gastro-enteroligists including colonoscopy/gastroscopy revealed gerd and a hernia but nothing else. Yesterday my GP sent me for an abdominal/pelvic scan and I have multiple gall stones and have to have gall bladder removed. My bloods revealed chronic low grade infection. Does this explain the problem I've had with inability to lose weight as well as the pain, distension and always feeling unwell? Will I be able to lose weight gradually after removal?

Dear Liz
The pain distension etc should improve after removal of the gall bladder but I don't really think it will do anything for your weight. Please ask them to test your insulin levels - you may have insulin resistance.