Question
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/27

Muesli & yoghurt

Is muesli and yoghurt fattening? It's the muesli with all the dried berries and banana, raisens and nuts (i've started picking those out though) & low fat yoghurt. What is a very healthy breakfast cereal to eat?

Dear Rene
All foods are fattening if eaten in excess. However, muesli and low-fat or fat-free yoghurt are excellent foods with a low glycaemic index and I think you can eat them as a healthy breakfast cereal. Leave the dried fruit, etc, in the muesli as these components lower the glycaemic index of the food even more.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/27

I've been on a diet prescribed by a dietitian and museli is allowed once a week only. Usually we'll have All Bran Flakes, or High Fibre bran, or Special K for breakfast.

A cup of cereal and a cup of fat-free milk. Together with that a cup of tea or coffee, but more tea thatn coffee, because of the caffeine.

There is a museli made by weigh-less, how does that compare with what you are currently having ?

This wasn't told to me by the dietitian : You can (sort of) make your own museli by using jungle oats and baking them in the oven at a very low heat for an hour or two. Essentially this cooks the oats and you do not have to cook them when eating them with milk. You can alos add in raisins, nuts and seeds in whatever quantities your diet allows.

Good Luck

Reply to FH
Posted by: Another muesli fan | 2004/10/27

If you look at the back of the packet, it shows that muesli is very high in fat and so it is not the best option to have. In order for a product to be low in fat, it has to be less than 3g of fat per 100g. You will see that muesli is much higher. I am a muesli fan but it is for this reason that I have stopped eating it. My dietician also advised me to cut it out. Try oatso Easy, it doesn't sound so great but the strawberry flavour is really nice, it is low in fat and weigh-less endorsed. A low fat cereal with fat free milk is also another good option. If you can't live without meusli there is a brand that is much lower in fat - by a considerable amount. It is in a white box with orange writing and it says LOW FAT. Not very low but still alot lower than the others. Another thing, I don't think it is only the nuts that makes it high in fat - its the way it is prepared as well.

Reply to Another muesli fan