Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2007/02/22

muesli? a no-no?

Good day Diet Doc

I have a question about muesli. Is muesli to be avoided if one is trying to lose weight? I have heard that it is very high in fat and thus it is an off limits food for anyone trying to lose weight. However I find that muesli in the morning gives me energy and keeps me full for much longer. As a result I tend to eat less for lunch and supper.
Thank you.

Dear Elizabeth
Muesli is indeed an excellent food being rich in dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals and if you use a low-GI version then it will keep you from getting hungry longer. However, according to the SA Food Tables, commercial muesli on average contains 1864 kJ and 17,4 g of fat per 100g. Check on the label of the muesli you buy to see if it also contains this amount of energy and fat (some version are lower in fat) and weigh the portion you use (e.g. 30g). If eating this for breakfast prevents you eating more at other meals, then by all means use it. That's actually the secret of eating a good breakfast (like your muesli with fat-free yoghurt or milk), that it prevents overeating at other meals.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: Kimmi | 2007/02/22

Whoever told you that it's offlimits is wrong!
You can get museli lowish in fat but with all the necessary weightloss and health benefits of (like you said) high carbs and low GI (which keeps you fuller for longer and gives you energy) and fibre and protein.
So from a healthy weightloss perspective, having muesli for breakfast is actually a good option. You just need to adjust the rest of your food comsuption to be less than the calories you burn during the day
Hope this helps
Kim

Reply to Kimmi