Question
Posted by: nini | 2004/12/01

MS - safe diet

Do u think it is wise for someone with MS (multiple sclerosis) or any like disease where the myelin sheath is inflammed to use xenical? This would be when in remission of course. Too much cortisone and no diet helps, If the person uses your diet and gets the xenical and exercises do you think that would be safe concerning the neuro condition. If there is any hint that Xenical is not safe or has a bad side effect pls could you let me know.

Dear Nini
I must admit that this is a problem I have not considered before and the only thing I can suggest that you ask your pharmacist to look up all the information in his reference books. I don't think Xenical would affect your myelin sheaths as its action is purely on inactivating lipase enzymes in the digestive tract so that you are not able to absorb any fat that occurs in your food. The primary side-effects listed in my copy of MDR are: digestive side-effects, such as diarrhoea, frequent stools, winds, etc and impaired ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (the latter can be compensated for by taking vitamin supplements).
Do ask your pharmacist or look up the Roche company (Joburg) and ask to speak to their division that handles Xenical.