Question
Posted by: Toni | 2004/01/23

MRI LUMBUR SPINE

I had a MRI on 19/01 to determine why I am having chronic lower back, abdomen and left leg pain. The neurosurgeon did not explain the results but put me on Celebrex Anti-inflam. tabs for 2 weeks.
Can u tell me what the following (from MRI report) mean in plain English:

Lumbar scoliosis convex to the left, loss of height and signal on T2W sequences of the L3/L4 and L4/L5 intervertebral discs, associated with posterior bulges on the thecal sac.
Under comment is: degenerative dessication of the L3/L4 and L4/L5 intervertebral discs.
I am still in pain after 5 days of treatment.
Many thanks

Toni, it means that your lower back is slightly bent to the left, that the discs between the 3rd and 4th and the 4th and 5th vertebrae are bulging slightly into the spinal space and that the spaces between 3rd and 4th and the 4th and 5th vertebrae are slightly narrowed. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.