Question
Posted by: TT | 2007/03/28

MRI AND BRAIN SCAN

Good Day Doctor,

I would like to know how SAFE is having MRI and BRAIN scans done on me. I'm 11 weeks pregannt. The doctor is trying to establish the cause of headacres that i had for years.

If it's safe, by how many weeks can i have this done?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

TT

Hi TT
MRI is not x/rays and they say that it is relatively safe to do after 12 weeks pregnancy. CT scans use x/rays and you should ask them to put a lead apron over your tummy and baby to protect them. I am just not sure if they will need to use contrast medium and if this would be harmful - if I were you, I would first talk to the radiologist per telephone and find out whether they would do this in pregnancy before making an appointment.

2
Posted by: Lou | 2007/03/28

Its not advisable to have any sort of x-rays when you are pregnant. if you have had these headaches for years, then rather endure them till after the birth so that you can have a healthy baby.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/28

Haven't you told your doctor you are pregnant? This is essential if you are to have x-rays of any sort, especially an MRI or brain scan.

Tell your doctor that you are pregnant.

Reply to anxious