Question
Posted by: Case | 2007/11/28

Moving out/Changing jobs

I want to move out of my parents house but can't afford it financially, even though sharing a flat with a friend would be difficult. My finances are already tight as it is. The reason why I want to move out is that I can't stand the critism of my parents anymore. It seems I can't do anything right.

Earlier my mother heard of job that I "might" be interested in, but I'm not and also I don't have any expierence in for that specific position. The salary they are offering are R3000 more than what I earn at this stage. The problem is that I have only started in April this year at the company I'm currently in. At this stage I don't want to change jobs for more money as for the reason that on my CV it won't look good if I change work every couple of months or even every year. In the future the employers won't even consider me for an interview if I've had changed work every now and then. I have to think about my future.

The job that I currently have are at times very stressful, but I like what I'm doing now at my work. For my mother it is very comfortable, she is a housewife and my father has his own business, so all the bills is paid by my father. I have to pay all my own bills, which includes my cellphone, petrol, medical aid (I'm on one of the cheaper plans of Discovery as I only can afford that much) etc.

I'm really confused at this stage, as I've told my friend that I had looked at my finances and it won't be possible to move out now and she fully understood. She is one of my best friends and we've been friends for the past 13 years.

You sound very sensible, and are right to be cautious about rapid changing of jobs.

3
Posted by: Case | 2007/11/29

Lolo, I'm 24 years old.

Reply to Case
Posted by: Lolo | 2007/11/29

it usually help to start by sharing a flat with a friend or sister, then continue building your caree and good working record, i also admire what you are saying by moving out, it will help u grow as well, how old are you?

Reply to Lolo
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/11/29

You are wise to not change jobs yet. To build up a good track record is very important. As an employer, I would not give you any consideration if you appear to be job hopping.

If you set yourself a goal of moving out in a year or two, you can work towards that end by building a track record, saving (if possible) and at the end of the time period you can look for a better paying job and move out comfortably. It will be easier to handle criticism if you know that you are working towards your goal. You are lucky to have a supportive and understanding friend.

Good luck, I think you are going to do well!

Reply to Hope*