Question
Posted by: Joan | 2007/03/27

moving my Smaegal Cat?

Hi All, hope you guys have some advice for me. We are moving house on Sunday and i'm not sure how to move my kitty he is 5 months old and he does get very stressed easily, I was thinking of moving him over to the new flat last but what if he realises something is wrong and he runs, what if he gets out at the new flat and runs away. He loves the dogs even goes with them for walks when we go where we live now, what are the chances he will stay with them, wont he feel more secure if i move him with the dogs, will he stay with them if i don't put him in a box, What will be the easiest most unstressfull way to move my cat, remember his name is Smegal for a reason he does what he wants otherwise he gets violent. Please help me i'm more worried about moving him than the actual move itself.

Hopefully your move went well. Have you installed the Feliway Vapourizer? They are useful in settlting animals in.

1
Posted by: Lea | 2007/03/27

I also moved recently and my cat is also a stresser. What I did was to close him in a room that was already empty with his basket, a sand basket, food and water. I locked him in so that no one could let him out by accident.

We moved the entire house and I took him to the new house with the last trip. Best is to let him out in one room and let him investigate that room for about 2 days and then once you have moved all your furniture in place and all boxes are packed away, then let him roam the house and sniff his old furniture.

Also, I kept my kitty in for about 2 weeks before alowing him access to the garden, and then I did it slowly with supervision and only after about 6 weeks let him roam freely.

Make sure all windows and doors are closed when in the new house, as they are always looking for creative ways to get out.

Give him lots of love and attention and I am sureyou will not have problems with the relocation.

Good luck!

Reply to Lea