Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2007/08/12

Moving House with a cat.

Hi, We are moving to another city at the end of August. I have a 2 year old female cat which was adopted from Catpals, and her only home has been the present one. How do I keep her from running away at the new home, and what do I do to neutralise dog odours around the garden of the new home? I will naturally keep her indoors for several weeks, but she is quite skittish, and I am worried about her reaction to any doggy smells outside.

Please install a Feliway Vapourizer in your home before you move and then take it with to your new home and keep it installed for about a month. There is nothing on e can do about smells in the garden. Patios and paved areas can be cleaned using bleach and thoroughly washed down.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/12

Once you start seeing that she is "settling" in take her for short supervised walks in the garden , rescue drops in her water will calm her down and she should be fine .

when you start letting her outside let her go through a window or door by herself , that way she will know how to get inside again , once you can see that she runs straight inside if she gets a fright then she will be fine..... I have at times deliberately startled one of my cats especially kittens (without them seeing me ) to make sure they know where safety is .

I wouldnt worry too much about the doggie smells , everything is going to be a new smell for her.

I assume she is spayed?

Good luck and post again if you have a problem

Reply to Carol