Question
Posted by: Karen | 2004/09/20

Moving house

We will be moving over the long weekend - any ideas on what to do with my spoilt, recently neutered cat? Should I take him to the new house as we start moving in case he ducks when he see's whats happening or do I leave him for last? How do I get him settled when I get him there? (He is about 18 months old)

Hi Karen
I suppose you have already moved, but just in case... The best thing to do is to put your cat in a secure place (e.g. bathroom/spare room) the night before you move, with a warm place to sleep, litter tray, food and water. Use a proper cat carrier to move him. It doesn't matter when you move him (before or after you move the furniture), but it has to be to a similar room in the new house, again with litter tray, food and water. He should not be allowed out of that room and certainly not out of the house for a few days, at least. Cats have a tendency to try to go back "home" and this is more likely to happen in the first few days or weeks, while things still smell strange. You can also put some butter on his paws - cats spend ages licking it off, which helps to relieve stress and distract from the trauma. You could also give him Rescue Remedy for the move and for the first few days to help him cope.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Justine | 2004/09/20

When we moved I asked our vet what was best. He told us that we should leave the cat for last, otherwise he might walk away from his new home. Thus lock him up in the new house for a few days when you are finished moving. Let him settle in.

Reply to Justine