Question
Posted by: Pixie | 2007/06/12

Moving home cats

I am moving from a townhouse to a plot with my cats. I will have them sedated and stay in a room for at least a week. My biggest worry is will they still take to the streets and maybe run away. should I rather have them put out than loose them?? Pleaseeeeeee Help??? Thanking You

No! Use Feliway in your current home and your new home to help the cats adapt to their new surroundings. They are usually very adaptable and will quickly settle into new surroundings. You will eed to supervise them when they first go out and protect them from dogs that may be in the area.

3
Posted by: Pixie | 2007/06/20

Thanks so much for the answer on my cats. Then I will take them with me and really pray very hard that God will have a helping hand in the *adapting* situation. I really love them like children, spend a lot of money on both of them, both were spaded, but the oldest was in war with a rat, that bit got him very siek, were in hospital for 3wks, but I visited him everymorning and afternoon before and after work, and I think the love as well pulled him through. Thanking you.

Reply to Pixie
Posted by: SUN | 2007/06/12

I agree with Kaz dont have them put down - give them a chance first. You mention that you are moving from a townhouse to a plot - that is a large piece of land and there should be more than enough space for them to move around. But do keep them inhouse for a while until they have settled down. They will love all the freedom!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/06/12

Please don't put them down. Cats can be quite adaptable. My husband and I have moved four times two of those moves were from Pietermaritzburg to Pinetown central then moved from there to a suburb of Pinetown. Each time the house and the the land was bigger. Our cats adapted. You are right in keeping them in a room for almost a week and buttering cats paw does not work they lick the stuff off so much for the saying. Your worry of them taking to the streets. My eldest cat sorry to say got knocked by a car at the latest address that we are staying in because since we had him he would never do his business in our yard, always in a neighbours yard. My cats don't venture very far. We have our second cat that does the opposite. Since my eldest cat died we replaced him with Bostick who will turn a year old this month and now we have an orange ginger kitten who we inherited from our tenant when they moved due to the fact that her boyfriend was allergic to cats.

So whatever you do don't put them down/out. See how they adapt first.

Reply to KAZ