Question
Posted by: Louise | 2003/12/02

Moved

We've moved from a house into a flat, it has a balcony, my cat moved with us. it's been a month now. and unfortunately she is home alone during the day. she miaauws a lot lately and is very restless. when will she adapt to her new surroundings?

Hi Louise
Cats can take a long time to get used to a flat after the freedom of a garden. To make things easier for her I suggest you invest in some cat toys, scratching posts and jungle gyms - or make some for her. Cats like to climb and scratch and a balcony is just not going to be enough. I have known cats to jump off balconies, so it may be a good idea to contain her with mesh. Plants like catnip, birseed grass and valerian can be grown on balconies and cats love them. You could hang objects around like chimes and mirror mobiles to keep her busy and get a fishtank or leave the TV on for her. Another cat may be an option, depending on her temperament. Some cats take a long time to get used to a new cat or kitten, so this will take time and effort, but may be worth it in the long term. You can also take her out for "walks", either on a harness or in a cat crate.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Robo | 2003/12/04

Can she at least go out for a walk outside?

Reply to Robo