Question
Posted by: JOE | 2003/03/17

MOTIVATION... FOR STUDYING PURPOSES?

Dunno if I have a problem or not... Here goes... I am a second year university student... Apparently, work is meant to be hard... However, I beg to differ...

I have not found any of the work that I do difficult. Nothing that I can't comprehend, I grasp the work relatively easily, without having to come home and spend hours re-teaching myself the work.

My problem lies in my motivation for exams. I spend spend about half an hour a day (thereabouts), making my notes for exam time (always done in advance), however, I usually sit down about 2 or 3 days before the exam and start studying (stress level never really high), but I never really get brilliant results (I got 2 out of 5 distinictions for my exams last semester), but I want to make that 5 out of 5, but I can;t get out of the habit of studying 2 or 3 days before... (By the way, i'm studying Chartered Accounting)

Any help is appreciated

Joe

Dear Joe,
If you can get 2 out of 5 distinctions with relatively little and late studying, and find the course-work easy, maybe you have no strong motivation to work harder or get even more distinctions. Why would you want more distinctions ? If you have good reasons to want them ; if they would be really valuable for you, it'd be easier to put in more work and achieve them. And it's far from difficult to set yourself higher standards, maybe to read around the subjects, learn even a bit more than required, maybe ask the lecturers for advice on further readings, etc. If you wanted to. Similarly, it shouldn't be difficult to schedule for yourself a couple of weeks for horough revision before exams, in the not-yet-distinctioned subjects. Do you have other things that are much more fun and far more valuable, to do, instead ?

1
Posted by: APIE | 2003/03/18

Be lucky that you have the opportunity to can be able to study. I am still studying and I am turning 40 next year. It took me 10 years to obtain a diploma and degree. Just look at the big picture and enjoy the different subjects that you are doing. Speak to other students and make group sessions. It help to get a mentor that helps with the motivation aspects of studying.

Reply to APIE