Question
Posted by: fis5 | 2007/05/06

motivation

I Just started varsity doing a bsc. Its something I really wanted to do. My problem is I have no motivation to study and I procrastinate to a point where i dont even bother studying for a test. I need any advice before i fail ovrall and get kicked out
thanx

Why did you "really want to" do the BSc ? Motivation grows out of the broader reasons why one chose to study, and reminding oneself of the eventuial benefits of having studied. Also, too many people waste a lot of timing sitting around waiting for "motivation" --- motivated or not, organize your study plans, make a time-table and stick to it, like training for a sports team. You don't have to be motivated in order to study effectively. Also, check out study skills training / counselling which should be available at varsity

2
Posted by: P1 | 2007/05/07

Maria you call yourself a prefectionist,well I dont know,I am also a prefectionist and beliefe me,I study very hard to make sure that I dont fail. To fail is for me a no-no,to make a sucsess of my life everything I do must be perfect.fis5 if you are going to wait for somebody to give you motivation to start learning I think you are going to wait for ever.To loose time on studying ask a Docter what it is to fail a year,or ask a monther what it feels like when she waited nine month for her baby,all the joy she was waiting for and then there is complications and her baby dies when born.So stop trying to feel sorry for yourself and start doing your thing or dropout and look for a job

Reply to P1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/05/06

Procrastination can also be a sign of perfectionism. As in "I'm afraid I won't get very high marks for this test, so I delay studying for it so that when I do badly I can at least say I didn't have time to cover all the material." Makes no sense, I know, but it is what we perfectionists sometimes do...

Reply to Maria