Question
Posted by: Robi | 2007/12/10

Mother cat moving kittens

Please could you shed some light on this. My mother cat, started moving her kitten 14 day old kitten around over saturday as if she wants to hide it. On Sunday, she has moved her kitten completely out of the house, outside somewhere and we have no clue. We have tried to follow her to find the kitten to bring it back home, but no success.

My question is, is this common?
Will she ever bring the kitten back home? or have lost this one.

Yes it is very common and takes patience to get the cat to either leave them in one spot or help them move to a new spot where the mother cat feels more comfortable.

3
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/11

Robi the person who ever fully understands how a cat thinks is going to make a fortune :)) I gave up long ago :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Robi | 2007/12/11

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your reply. I fail to understand why she felt there was no privacy as she is completely alone in a room on her own. But I'll keep a look out and hope she brings her kitten back (hopefully). My older cat did not react like this at all when she has had her kittens so this is why I have found this very strange behaviour.

I'll keep a look out.

Reply to Robi
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/10

Mother cats like privacy with their children .. she is obviously not happy with her current sitaution and is being disturbed ,..... if she does bring the kitty back .. confine her to a room and leave her in peace .

You can start socilizing kitty from about 4 weeks .

Reply to Carol